This delicious recipe from the River Cafe Cookbook is one of our favourites: simple and easy to make. It works well as an impressive starter or as a side to a main meal.
- 6 red and 6 yellow peppers
- 50g (2oz) salted capers
- 100g (4oz) salted anchovies
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into slivers
- a handful of fresh basil or majoram
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices pugliese bread, cut in half, toasted and rubbed with garlic
Grill the whole peppers on all sides. When the skins are entirely black, place the peppers in a plastic bag and seal.
When cool, remove the blackened skin by rubbing by rubbing the peppers in your hands. Do not worry if they fall apart. Then remove the seeds and cores.
Layer the peppers with slivers of garlic, capers, anchovies, basil, black pepper and a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil. The final should have all the ingredients visible.